After Babel, it became more complicated to communicate. At that situation translation was only the way-out. People were using translation for their basic needs and nowadays it is using to expand the business worldwide. In 1991 Marshall Mac Luhan invented a term “Global village” that is all about the Globalization. To communicate with alien language there is always need of a medium that can be translators, interpreters etc. Translation has been always used as a helping tool in all the Eras. In early times translation has been used for religious expansion. for example Bible translations, Manu manuscripts, Buddhist translation and many more…
First of all, it is important to plan your translation project properly. In real time, it is quite different, but it is most important to remember that a qualitative and successful translation needs time.
Before assigning the original document to translator, it is advised to look it through whether everything is fine and check whether any mistakes have occurred. It will help to save your valuable time when you receive translated file and realize that something is wrong.
We should try to provide all the necessary information and instruction for translation which can make translator’s work much easier.
We should give realistic deadlines to translator, because he or she is a human and even best translators have limits how much quality translation he or she can produce within one day.
It is suggested that translators are a contact person from whom we can contact in case there are some queries, questions or to implement any updates.
We should remember some important things while assigning the translation task:
- A neat and clean written source text is the first step to a successful qualitative translation. Try to avoid any junk word and keep a unique consistent terminology, and explain specific abbreviations very well.
- For what purpose the translation is meant: publishing, leaflet, template, advertisement or any other informative purposes.
- We should maintain the file format of translation as before the source format while delivering to client.
- Deadlines are one of the most important aspects of any task. This is a time limit within which we have to complete the task and deliver to the client with great quality. The deadline of any project or task should be discussed at the starting of any project.
- Translator should always keep Consider about client requirements. If translation is perfect but not according to the Client that is completely worthless.
- To deliver a quality translation to clients, it is very important to select the correct resources or translators who have enough experience to produce a quality translation at that specific area of translation.
These are the most important aspects to check before sending the files to the translators. For a good and quality translation it needs to carry the tone and the appropriate meaning of the source texts, and it should be easily understandable to the target audience. Meaningful translations mean that there is no space for mistranslation and bad grammar. The translators need to have the thorough knowledge of both languages. Bad grammar and missing translations in translated documents leads to lose not only the projects but may be the client also.
Clarity is one of the main factors towards the quality translation. One good translation is much better than the original one. It should contain all the important information of the original document.
Generally, after getting a translated file from translator, it will go through review or proofread for accuracy and completeness. An editor will check the document to make sure that it make smooth reading in the target language.
A translated document reflects the mood of the translator. It may be possible that there may not be definite tone in the general texts, but in the editorial documents there always is a clear tone of the target language. Translation must convey the feelings, expressions of the source language to the reader, so it is important for a successful translation, it must be clear and meaningful. If the translated documents fail to express the proper feelings or expressions, it may mislead the reader of that document.
A translation needs to be appropriate as culturally for the target audiences. References about the religion, sports or country related items may sometimes confuse the reader. So before starting the translation it may be useful to remove such references from the source document or culturally adopted in the target language.
It always takes on mind that the target audience needs to be taken into consideration. If a document is translated for a certain country, then it is more useful that the translation be performed by a native translator. Doing this the native translator make sure that the terms and expressions are properly used in the translated document. He or she may change some spellings to be ensured that the given translation is acceptable in that country.